"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Abiding in the Shadow of the Almighty

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1 (NASB)

Today, no matter what you are going through, no matter what befalls you, you can decide to abide in the shadow of the Almighty. There is protection there and peace. There is hope there and love. There you will rest in His arms; no need to struggle, no need to fear. Give it all to Him, whatever it is. And when you find that you are again carrying the pain that you have given Him, because we tend to take it back in worry and fear, give it to the Lord again. And again. And again.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30 (NASB)

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2 (NIV)

This is when the the "hidden" life of faith in God is especially important. The "hidden" life is the part of a believer's life that only God sees, the part where we have communion with Him and worship Him. When we spend time in His shadow it is like a picture of baby chicks hiding under the mother hen's wings, close to her heart, safe and warm. Jesus said, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." Matthew 23:37 To abide in His shadow, we must be willing, we must nurture our "hidden" life of faith, and we must remain there.

As Warren Wiersbe says, "The hidden life of worship and communion makes possible the public life of obedience and service." How many of us only focus on the public life of faith and neglect the "hidden" life of faith. We look to other people to help us, to teach us, to lead us, when what we really need most is to let our Lord help us, teach us, and lead us. This is the cultivating of our "hidden" life. "For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God." Colossians 3:3 (NASB)

So let us focus on abiding in His shadow, hiding under His wings, nurturing our "hidden" life of faith so that we might be able to be obedient and serve Him.

Dear Lord, Let me not neglect my "hidden" life of faith, the life that only You can see. Help me not to focus on the outward appearance of faith but to set my eyes on You in communion and worship. Teach me to abide in Your shadow, to take Your yoke upon me, and to find rest for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment