"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Empty Nest or Full House?

I feel bad that I haven't had a post since my first two...but not really. I have been trying to figure out the balance between having an empty nest and a full house. My youngest son went off to college last fall and I was sure that a new, exciting phase of life had begun. I had already decided that I was going to give myself time to "adjust" to my new situation. What did I have planned for this new phase you may ask? Well, I certainly didn't intend to waste time by hanging on to my children's every word (or lack thereof). I didn't intend to facebook, twitter, check two email accounts, chat, text and talk the day away! That was a life style that I actually disdained. It seems, however, that that is exactly what I have been doing. Oh, not all I have been doing, mind you, but a huge portion of my time seems to be dedicated to communicating with my far flung offspring. Blogging just didn't seem to fit in. After all, I had only one follower and that was me! If no one was reading my blog but me, well, what was the point?

The point is my job is over now, right? I am at the parenting finish line with my last child off in college and now I can revert back to my selfish ways....or not! Now I need to focus. Now I need purpose more than ever, and not just to be available every time my children choose to communicate (although, I confess, that had been my goal). I need to be available to God. I need to hear every word He chooses to communicate and I need to follow through on what He asks of me.

"For this reason it says, 'Awake, sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.' Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." Ephesians 5:14-17 (NASB)

Dear Lord, Please help me make use of my days for Your glory and help me deal wisely with my empty nest. Tweet!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Leanne…. can I relate to this!! As I was reading your devotional I kept thinking "yes, yes… that's exactly what I've been going through!" Why even today I was telling myself to stop spending so much wasted time on Facebook… a few moments ago, as I was logging back on to Facebook (oops!) I thought… oh no, here I go again. Little did I know that I would stumble upon your post sending me to your devotionals! Now, if this is not a God thing, then I don't know what is! :o) What a blessing this is… thank you! I'm going to continue on and read more!
    Hugs,
    Carrie Bean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that, Carrie! I am praying that the Lord will use these posts for His glory...
    Love in Him,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete