"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Monday, April 12, 2010

Does God Seem Far Away? Guess Who Moved?

There are days when I don't seem to be able to hear God's voice or understand His will very clearly. Do you have days like that? Does it sometimes seem like the prayers you are shooting up are hitting the ceiling and falling back into your face? Well, then take a good look at yourself. What have you been doing? Where have you been going? Who have you been serving? If God seems far away, I guarantee you that it wasn't God who moved away from you. You have moved away from Him.

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8 (NASB)

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 (NASB)

"And lo I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20 (NASB)

The Lord desires for us to walk with Him even when we can't "feel" Him. We are not to base our lives on our feelings. We are to obey Him. Continue walking with Him and you will feel His presence again as you keep moving in His direction. Francis Chan, in his book Crazy Love, puts it this way, "If life is a river, then pursuing Christ requires swimming upstream. When we stop swimming, or actively following Him, we automatically begin to be swept downstream."

"Your ears will hear a word behind you, 'This is the way, walk in it,' whenever you turn to the right or to the left." Isaiah 30:21 (NASB)

"But if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin." 1 John 1:7 (NASB)

We also need to remember that what we spend the most time on will be the most influential in our lives. Are you spending the most time with the Lord? Or are you too busy to hear His voice?

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 (NASB)

You may say I can't spend all day with Him! But I say, "Oh, yes you can!" Write His words on your heart and talk about Him (and to Him) as you are walking along the way (driving along the way). Speak of Him (and to Him) when you are rising up and sitting down. Teach Him to your children or to whomever you meet.

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Deuteronomy 11:17-19 (NASB)

"Thy Word is a lamp unto me feet, and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105 (NASB)

Dear Lord, Please help me to keep walking in Your direction regardless of how I feel. Help me to be obedient to Your word. Help me to spend time knowing Your word and help me to teach it to others.

3 comments:

  1. OK… now this one tied in perfectly with what I am learning in my bible study "Discerning the Voice of God". Just met with my group of girlfriends this morning and we were talking about how strongholds prevent us from hearing the voice of God basically saying "I can't", "I'm not good enough", etc. If we can eliminate the strongholds… then it opens up the door for God to freely communicate with us… and more importantly for us to hear Him.

    Thanks so much for what you are doing with these devotionals, Leanne. You should create a Facebook Page for these too… I'd become a fan! It's so cool to know that we are sisters in Christ after all these years! :o)
    Hugs,
    Carrie Bean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Carrie! I am thrilled to know that you are a believer! I've done that Bible study by Patricia Shirer, right? It was excellent. I'm actually starting another one by Patricia today called "One in a Million."
    Have a great day!
    In Him,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete