"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Monday, June 14, 2010

Stuff

It's very odd. I have been collecting "stuff" for 50 plus years now, filling our houses with pretty things, beautiful colors, and lovely shapes. I was noticing the lamp by my bedside this morning, and thought, "That's a really nice lamp! I probably wouldn't have that lamp if I hadn't been a decorator..." But the truly odd thing is that now that my house is full and completely decorated (I honestly don't need another thing!), I appreciate it and enjoy it but think, It's nice, but I don't need it. Who knows, it could be time to start downsizing stuff soon.

You see, I grew up with less stuff so getting more stuff was important to me in my younger years. Now that I'm older, it isn't so important. My kids, on the other hand, grew up with lots of stuff and they seem to care little about it. Oh, don't get me wrong, they love their musical instruments and laptop computers, but they don't seem to have the obsession to keep track of it and maintain it and protect it that I did. I spent much of my early time maintaining stuff. I didn't want to have to replace the stuff so I worked hard to keep it looking new. I dusted it, I polished it, I protected it from rambunctious children. We took our shoes off in the house to protect the carpet so we wouldn't have to replace it very often. We only allowed our kids to eat at the kitchen table. We taught our kids to drink their sippy cups in the kitchen so they wouldn't accidentally spill the contents. And for the most part, these things did keep stuff looking nice. My kids aren't warped by it (at least I don't think they are!) and they don't abide by those rules very much any more now that they are all adults...But the real turn around came when we got a couple of dogs, one of which had the run of the house. The dogs make messes on the carpet (by accident, of course). We have spots that have been cleaned but are still very noticable all over the place. And I don't really care. I do try to have the carpet cleaned before parties and such but the spots return later after a month or two. I always threaten to get puke colored carpet when I replace it, if I ever do.

Being free of the tyranny of stuff is wonderful. Matthew 6:19-21 says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (NIV)

Now my stuff is collecting dust. I am not a great housekeeper...That was actually never my thing. I enjoy seeing the pretty things as I look around the house but it doesn't take up much of my time or thinking. And I am willing to give it up should the Lord ask that of me. You can't take it with you anyway, right? The only things we can take with us are our character and our relationships with Christ and others.

"Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, 'I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU'". Hebrews 13:5 (NASB)

"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:38 (KJV)

Dear Lord, Thank You for the stuff You have given us. We know that all blessings come from You. Please help us to focus on You and not our stuff. Teach us to store up for ourselves treasures in heaven and make us free of the tyranny of "stuff".

No comments:

Post a Comment