"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Saturday, December 25, 2010

His Story, Not Mine Revisited

His Story, Not Mine

I often forget that this life is not all about "Me". The author and perfecter of my faith is also the author and perfecter of my life. The story is His and I have a small bit part in it! My purpose is to shine His light into this dark world, not to shine the light on myself so I receive glory and praise. All glory and honor and praise belong to Him.

I think the problem with us is that we put too much emphasis on this life and not enough on the next. This life is a flash in the pan. It is very, very temporary. This is where we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). This is where we are to become a mirror image of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

"Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." James 4:14 (NASB)

"Man is a mere breath; his days are like a passing shadow." Psalm 144:4 (NASB)

"O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!" Psalm 39:4

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NASB)

And yet the God of the Universe cares about every hair on our heads. He even knows how many there are at any given time. He wants to give us the desires of our hearts which doesn't mean He wants to answer every prayer the way we want it. It means that He wants to put the desires that He wants us to have in us. His plans are much larger and better than we can even comprehend.

"Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

Dear Lord, Thank you that I have a part, however small, in Your Story! Please use me to further Your Kingdom and to shine Your light. Make me into Your image and let others see You in Me. Please help me to put this life in proper perspective and to realize that You must increase and I must decrease. Less of me and more of Thee, please...

Originally posted April 13, 2010. 

Image courtesy of Photobucket.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment