"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Recipe for Life (Revisited)

A Recipe for Life
Frequently, my daughter or a friend will ask me for a recipe. I am always happy to oblige and am happy that something I've made in the past has pleased someone enough for them to remember it and want to reproduce it. How much more wonderful would it be if we could have people see the way we live and ask for the recipe for that life? Wouldn't you love it if they asked how they could reproduce the fruits of the Spirit they see in you in their own lives?

"But I say walk in the Spirit and you will not carry out the desires of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envyings, drunkeness, carousings, and things like these, of which I forewarn you just as I have forewarned you that those who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:16-23 (NASB)

But, it is so much more than a "Don't do this", "Do this" list. You may ask, how can I exhibit the fruits of the Spirit ALL the time? The answer to that question can be found in Galatians 5:24 & 25:

"Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." (NASB)

And in Galatians 2:20:

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me." (NASB)

The "I" in that verse refers to "Me, myself, and I". The "I" is all my selfish desires; all of getting what I want when I want it. Our new goal is to crucify our own desires and live for His. This takes a major commitment on our part. We need to die to ourselves (read: our own selfishness) daily. This will always be an ongoing struggle but be hopeful for the Bible also says:

"Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NASB)

"And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you, and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. After a little while the world will behold Me no more; but you will behold Me; because I live, you shall live also." John 14:16-20 (NASB)

Through the power that is within us, we can live God's recipe for life! "Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world." 1 John 4:4 (NASB)

Dear Lord Jesus, Thank you for Your recipe for Life. Thank you for making me into Your image daily. Help me die to my own selfish desires and live for You so that you might exhibit the ingredients for this recipe of life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control in me.

Originally posted April 10, 2010.

Image courtesy of Photobucket.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment