"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Monday, November 1, 2010

Our Affection Set on God

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."  Matthew 5:6 (NIV)

"A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek; I want to drink God, deep draughts of God. I'm thirsty for God-alive. I wonder, 'Will I ever make it—arrive and drink in God's presence?' I'm on a diet of tears—tears for breakfast, tears for supper. All day long people knock at my door, pestering, 'Where is this God of yours?'"  Psalm 42  (The Message)

"You're all I want in heaven! You're all I want on earth! When my skin sags and my bones get brittle, God is rock-firm and faithful. Look! Those who left you are falling apart! Deserters, they'll never be heard from again.  But I'm in the very presence of God—oh, how refreshing it is! I've made Lord God my home. God, I'm telling the world what you do!"   Psalm 73:25  (The Message)

"How can a young person live a clean life? By carefully reading the map of your Word. I'm single-minded in pursuit of you; don't let me miss the road signs you've posted. I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart so I won't sin myself bankrupt. Be blessed, God; train me in your ways of wise living. I'll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth; I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches. I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you've done it. I relish everything you've told me of life, I won't forget a word of it."  Psalm 119:10  (The Message)

"'If you'll hold on to me for dear life,' says God, 'I'll get you out of any trouble. I'll give you the best of care if you'll only get to know and trust me. Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times; I'll rescue you, then throw you a party. I'll give you a long life, give you a long drink of salvation!'"  Psalm 91:14 (The Message)

There are many things that compete for our attentions and affections in this life, especially at this time of year.  There is so much to do and so little time; we are easily distracted from the true goals of our lives and of this particular season.  When I was younger with young children, I worked so hard to make the Christmas season happy for my family that I sometimes felt lonely, empty, and disappointed when the day finally arrived.  Invariably, (and in my own mind), no one else put as much work or thought into making it happy as I did, and I was exhausted and in a constant state of fear that I would not have met the expectations of one of my children.  What I failed to remember was that the atmosphere of joy and peace, the warmth of being together, and the celebration of the birth of our Savior, was what was truly important. Not the trappings of the holiday, but the heart of the holiday was at issue.  The heart of Christmas is and has always been the unbelievable love of God for His children

"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him."  John 3:16-18 (The Message)

Dear Lord,   Help us keep our affections set on You this Christmas season, not the trappings of the holiday but the Heart of the holiday, the gift of Your precious Son, Jesus...

Image courtesy of Photobucket.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment