"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Down in the Valley

If you are down in the valley, do not faint and give up. Keep plodding forward with every ounce of strength you can muster and do not give up. It is frequently in the valley that God shapes us. God, who knows all, takes us and molds us into who He wants us to be for His purposes. We ought not to think of our purpose in life as "our purpose". All of our purposes are His purposes. And we must have a vision for this purpose which He has planned for us. We must keep our eyes wide open and we must seek out His will, His purpose for our lives. If you can't see it now, keep watching and do not faint. "O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress." Psalm 59:9 (ESV)

"Remember what you said to me, your servant— I hang on to these words for dear life! These words hold me up in bad times; yes, your promises rejuvenate me. The insolent ridicule me without mercy, but I don't budge from your revelation. I watch for your ancient landmark words, and know I'm on the right track. But when I see the wicked ignore your directions, I'm beside myself with anger. I set your instructions to music and sing them as I walk this pilgrim way. I meditate on your name all night, God, treasuring your revelation, O God. Still, I walk through a rain of derision because I live by your Word and counsel." Psalm 119:49-56 (The Message)

"Oh, how I love all you've revealed; I reverently ponder it all the day long. Your commands give me an edge on my enemies; they never become obsolete. I've even become smarter than my teachers since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel. I've become wiser than the wise old sages simply by doing what you tell me. I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil so I can spend all my time keeping your Word. I never make detours from the route you laid out; you gave me such good directions. Your words are so choice, so tasty; I prefer them to the best home cooking. With your instruction, I understand life; that's why I hate false propaganda." Psalm 119:97-104 (The Message)

If the valley is deep and the mountains are steep, keep pressing on. We tend to lose our way when we lose our focus. There are many things in this world that would distract us, relationships, material goods, our work, even our work for the Lord. As a matter of fact, this world is set up to distract us. We need to keep our focus on Him. It is such a basic, simple thought but so hard to do! Why is it so hard to do? "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8 (ESV) I think that one of our biggest problems as believers is that we underestimate the determination of our enemy. He wants us to fail. He wants us to throw in the towel. He wants us to faint and give up and he will do everything in his power to stop us from moving forward, especially when we are weak and deep in the valley.

Oswald Chambers said, "When we realize that although the vision is real, it is not real in us, then is the time that Satan comes in with his temptations, and we are apt to say it is no use to go on. Instead of the vision becoming real, there has come the valley of humiliation...God gives us the vision, then He takes us down to the valley to batter us into the shape of the vision, and it is in the valley that so many of us faint and give way. Every vision will be made real if we have patience... Ever since we had the vision God has been at work, getting us into the shape of the ideal, and over and over again we escape from His hand and try to batter ourselves into our own shape."

Since we are incapable of shaping ourselves into His image, we must allow Him to do it. Are you experiencing heartbreak, sadness, the loss of the vision that you thought God had given you? Perhaps you have given up too soon. Perhaps you should return to the path that He set you on. And perhaps you should be aware of the possibility that He has not finished shaping you into the vision, that you may not be ready for it. Have you taken yourself out of the path of His vision for you and started trying to "batter" yourself into your own shape? Keep God's vision for your life, get back on His path, get your eyes off of yourself and back on Him.

"The vision is not a castle in the air, but a vision of what God wants you to be. Let Him put you on His wheel and whirl you as He likes, and as sure as God is God and you are you, you will turn out exactly in accordance with the vision. Don't lose heart in the process. If you have ever had the vision of God, you may try as you like to be satisfied on a lower level, but God will never let you." Oswald Chambers.

"Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that's where life starts. Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth; avoid careless banter, white lies, and gossip. Keep your eyes straight ahead; ignore all sideshow distractions. Watch your step, and the road will stretch out smooth before you. Look neither right nor left; leave evil in the dust." Proverbs 4:23 (The Message)

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28 (The Message)

"Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that." Ephesians 5:1-2 (The Message)

"Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." 2 Timothy 1:12 (NIV)

Dear Lord, Thank you that though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for Thou art with me. Thank you that You have given me a vision. Please Lord, help me keep walking forward with You until You have completed that vision of who You want me to be in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment