"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Please Pray For My Daughter, Stacie...

My daughter, Stacie, left today on the adventure of a lifetime. Now it's my turn to put my money where my mouth is, to practice what I preach... Surely a Holy God is able to care for her and keep her safe even in dangerous places... Surely the Creator of the Universe can keep her in His loving care until we meet again... But I have information that I wish I didn't have. I know that everything doesn't always work out the way I think it should. I know that God's ways are not my ways nor are His thoughts my thoughts. "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' declares the LORD. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.'" Isaiah 55:8-9 (NASB) And not only are God's thoughts higher than mine, they are also very different than mine. God is an eternal God not constrained by time or place. He is infinite and infinitely wise. Whereas I think I know a lot, I have barely nicked the surface with my finite mind of what God knows and can and will do. He sees the puzzle of our lives in its finished state while we are struggling just to find the spot where each piece might fit. I am thankful that He knows the big picture, but I am also thankful that He gives us small glimpses of His eternal plan.

"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals his thoughts to man, he who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth— the LORD God Almighty is his name." Amos 4:13 (NIV)

I will now trust Him with my precious daughter and although I would do anything for her and would love to make her life easier, she is wiser than I and knows that real growth comes when you don't shelter yourself from difficult and scary things. Real growth often comes with a price. The question is are we willing to take ourselves out of our safe harbors and get into the fray of life, into the storm of tragedy where so much of humanity abides?

In this country we have been sheltered from the reality of the lives the rest of the world lives. We have only become more aware in recent years, partially due to increased communications through the internet, partially due to the fact that we can no longer feign ignorance. I am proud of the next generation who is rising up and taking action all over the world to fight injustice and indecency. We should learn a lesson from them and follow them into the fray where we can be changed and who knows but that our own ordinary lives might make the world a better place.

We often think, "What could I possibly do? What difference could I possibly make? I cannot go to a foreign country. I cannot make people love instead of hate. I cannot stop people from taking advantage of each other or hurting each other. I cannot solve world hunger or bring world peace." When I feel overwhelmed by what I cannot change in this world, I remember what I can change. I can change my small place in this world with a kind word, a gentle smile, a look of understanding, an offered hand, a silent prayer. I can bring a small measure of peace to my part of the world...today. No matter that I may never know of the effect. No matter that no thanks will be given. No matter that I cannot stop the violence or the pain or the heartache or the suffering. I can bring friendship to a lonely heart, food to an empty stomach, knowledge to a hungry mind, and truth to a thirsty soul.

We can no longer sit back in our easy chairs watching silly TV shows and lamenting about taxes or oil spills or politics. We must take action and not allow the wicked to oppress the helpless whether half way around the world or half way around the block. "God takes His stand in His own congregation; He judges in the midst of the rulers. How long will you judge unjustly, and show partiality to the wicked? Selah. Vindicate the weak and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and destitute. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them out of the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:1-4 (NASB)

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Colossians 3:17 (NIV)

"So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin." James 4:17 (ESV)

Dear Lord, Please let us follow You into the world to bring light and life to the darkness. Let us be willing to leave our comfort and venture out into the unknown and uncomfortable world, where ever that might be, to bring glory to Your name.

1 comment: