"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

There is No Night There (Revisited)

I am revisiting this here today because the man that a dear friend was planning to marry passed away suddenly of a heart attack a few days before Christmas.  That morning he was here and then he was there in the land of fadeless day, walking with the King of Glory.  My brother also went on to be with the Lord last July 17th.

There is No Night There 

I received some sad news today. My brother who has been battling breast cancer for over 2 years has taken a turn for the worse. My father passed away in the early 90's and I spoke at his funeral about what heaven is like according to God's word. It comes to mind now and although I didn't keep a copy of what I said, I remember clearly the description according to Revelation 21 and 22.

Revelation 21:1-7 "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, 'Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He shall dwell among them and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be among them, and He shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying or pain; for the first things have passed away.'

And He who sits on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new.' And He said, 'Write, for these words are faithful and true.'

And He said to me, 'It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. He who overcomes shall inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.'"

Revelation 22:1-7 "And he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street. And on either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

And there shall no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and the Lamb shall be in it, and His bond-servants shall serve Him; and they shall see His face, and His name shall be on their foreheads.

And there shall no longer be any night and they shall not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God shall illumine them; and they shall reign forever and ever.

And he said to me, 'These words are faithful and true'; and the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show to His bond-servants the things which must shortly take place.

'And behold, I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book.'"

And the words to an old hymn, "There is No Night There," by John R. Clements c. 1899 are comforting:

In the land of fadeless day
Lies the city foursquare;
It shall never pass away,
And there is no night there.
Refrain
God shall wipe away all tears,
There's no death, no pain, nor fears,
And they count not time by years,
For there is no night there.

All the gates of pearl are made,
In the city foursquare;
All the streets with gold are laid,
And there is no night there.

All the gates shall never close
To the city foursquare;
There life's crystal river flows,
And there is no night there.

There they need no sunshine bright,
In that city foursquare;
For the Lamb is all the light,
And there is no night there.

"If then you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God." Colossians 3:1-3

Dear Lord, Thank you that when I don't know what to say, Your word will say it for me.

Originally posted April 14, 2010.

Image courtesy of Photobucket.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment