"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

You Talk, I'll Listen...

Do you have someone in your life that does all the talking? You end up nodding your head or laying the phone down and doing chores while they continue to talk? And they never even noticed that you were gone? Or how about the one that talks right over you on a consistent basis? You can never get a word in edgewise and when you try, it's like talking into the wind... We all have someone like this in our lives but after one such phone (non) conversation, I thought, "I wonder if that is how the Lord feels with me?" Do I do all the talking while He is relegated to just listening. The definition of conversation is: an informal interchange of thoughts, information, etc., by spoken words; oral communication between persons; talk; colloquy. The implication is that a conversation involves the give and take of ideas, thoughts, and information. A conversation should involve at least 2 people! One person should not be doing all of the talking. So I propose that our conversations with God should also be two-way. We should talk to Him but we should also listen! How can you have a real relationship if one person is doing all the talking?

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth!" Psalm 46:10 (Esv)

"Let me hear in the morning of Your steadfast love, for in You I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul." Psalm 143:8 (ESV)

"O simple ones, learn prudence; O fools, learn sense. Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right, for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips." Proverbs 8:5-7 (ESV)

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27-28 (NASB)

"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come." John 16:13 (NASB)

"As it is said, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.'" Hebrews 3:15 (ESV)

And finally, "Behold, I stand at the door and know; if any one hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20 (NASB)

Dear Lord, Today, let me let You do the talking and I'll do the listening. Open the ears of my heart so that I might hear your truth and discern Your voice. Teach me to be still and know that You are God.

No comments:

Post a Comment