"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Monday, August 30, 2010

Listen to the Music

I can't tell you how important a role music has played in my life!  I post songs here on my blog that have moved me, touched me, filled me, and motivated me toward a closer walk with my Savior.  The Christian life and walk isn't always easy and the music I spend my life listening to (and I do listen to it all day long!  Ask my family!) helps me stay on the path He wants me on; He speaks to me through it and I find myself in a constant state of worship.  I have often wondered if music could make the difference in a person's life, the difference between mediocrity and being sold out to Jesus.  I think it could.

Please don't miss the music that I post.  These are all songs that go with the written posts (usually) and are integral to the message!  Many times the music inspires the words.  And I would encourage you to make your own play list of Christian/Worship music.  You can start out with some of these songs posted here and then add your own songs which speak to your own heart and encourage you to stay on the path He wants you on, the path of life with Him.

I was quite young when I realized the power that music had over me (and I have always assumed, everyone else).  When I was a teenager, I listened to popular music and I noticed that I loved some songs more than others but that they all had an influence on how and what I was thinking and feeling.  Most of those types of songs had to do with love won and lost.  They could actually be quite depressing and I could feel myself thinking that finding and keeping true love was the most important thing in life.  Well, I agree with that but with a twist that I am sure those secular musicians never intended.  I think that finding and keeping true love is the most important thing but that it can only be found in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Every other person on the face of this earth will let you down, but Jesus never will.  He never can!  It is against His very nature.  Our nature, on the other hand, with our utter selfishness, will always fall short, and always disappoint.  The only way we can get away from our utter selfishness is to be wholly devoted to God...

I have always tried to make things easier for myself if possible!  By that I mean that I have found that walking a true life of faith is easier when I fill my heart and mind with the things of God.  So I try to spend most of my days in His word, in prayer, and listening to music that makes it easier to stay focused on Him.  Now this does not mean that I sit around all day reading, praying, and listening to music.   I go about my business praying and listening to music if I can, and as I pray and listen, the word of God pops into my head, too.  So what I have read (and memorized) throughout my life so concertedly, stays with me and helps  walk His path.  So sing a new song to the Lord, or get an old song stuck in your head!  The more time you spend on Him, the more you will feel His presence all day long.

"God holds me head and shoulders above all who try to pull me down. I'm headed for His place to offer anthems that will raise the roof! Already I'm singing God-songs; I'm making music to God."  Psalm 27:6 (The Message)

"They spread a net for my feet—I was bowed down in distress.  They dug a pit in my path—but they have fallen into it themselves.  Selah.  My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.   Awake, my soul!  Awake, harp and lyre!  I will awaken the dawn."  Psalm 57:6-8 (NIV)

"Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.  Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods."  Psalm 95:1-3 (NIV)

"I will sing of steadfast love and justice;  to you, O LORD, I will make music. I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me?  I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless.  I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me."  Psalm 101:1-3 (ESV)

"Remember what you said to me, your servant— I hang on to these words for dear life! These words hold me up in bad times; yes, your promises rejuvenate me. The insolent ridicule me without mercy, but I don't budge from your revelation. I watch for your ancient landmark words, and know I'm on the right track. But when I see the wicked ignore your directions, I'm beside myself with anger. I set your instructions to music and sing them as I walk this pilgrim way. I meditate on your name all night, God, treasuring your revelation, O God. Still, I walk through a rain of derision because I live by your Word and counsel."  Psalm 119:49 (The Message)

"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."  Ephesians 5:19-20 (NIV)

Dear Lord,  Thank You for Your precious gift of music.  Thank You that as we walk this pilgrim way, setting Your word to music and singing make it easier for us.  Please give us an incredible, all day attitude of worship and thanksgiving through Your music...Let us move from mediocrity to being sold out to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment