"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we could ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Read, Read, Read!

I heard an amazing statistic a few weeks ago. A survey said that 80% of people never read another book after graduating from high school. It also said that another 70% of people never read another book after college...Can this be true?

The Bible says, "Remind them of these things, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless and leads to the ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. But avoid worldly and empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness..." 2 Timothy 2:14-16 (NASB). Or in the King James it says, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (vs.15) We need to read, we need to study, we need to know the Word of Truth. How can we do this unless we read?

You may say, "I'm too busy!" or "I barely have enough time to watch the nightly news!" Well then, you need to make time to read God's Word, to read for pleasure, to read to understand. There are so many amazing books that speak God's truth to us through the explanation of His word, through life stories of ordinary people who have made God the center of their lives, and through writers who want to help us walk by faith and know why we can trust God with all of our tomorrows.

So turn off the television. Make one less trip to the gym. Set your priorities straight and spend time reading and studying to show yourself approved, a workman who need not be ashamed, one who can rightly apply the word of truth. Then when the difficult times in life come (for we know they will), you'll have peace because, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (NIV)

"If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free...If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed." John 8:32, 36 (NASB)

"He who gives attention to the word shall find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord. The wise in heart will be called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness. Understanding is a fountain of life to him who has it, but the discipline of fools is folly." Proverbs 16:20-22 (NASB)

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth, and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall My word be which goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:10-11 (NASB)

"Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust." 2 Peter 1:2-4

Please don't NOT read these verses. My son told me, "Oh, Mom, I didn't read all of the verses. You should incorporate them into your writing." He may be right. Perhaps I should. But I set them apart for a reason. I set them apart because I don't want you to miss how God's Word answers our questions, gives us hope and everything we need pertaining to life and godliness. Please READ them... Force yourself to read them; whatever you have to do to read them, do it! I promise you that if you do and you do so regularly, you will be changed.

Dear Lord, Help me to place the value I should on Your Word! And help me not to just value it in thought and word but also in practice. Help me to spend time reading it and other valuable writings by people who know You and love You so that I might be a workman showing myself approved, able to handle Your word correctly. And able to have Your peace in the midst of all life's circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment